Monday, May 17, 2010

Stefanie Powers

Another favorite from my youth is Ms. Stefanie Powers who was kind enough to answer a a letter from 13 year old me while appearing in summer stock in 1972. I first saw her in THE GIRL FROM U.N.C.L.E. in 1966 but she had already co-starred at that point with John Wayne in 1963's McCLINTOCK and appeared in dozens of other TV series and a few films. When her role as the Modesty Blaise knock-off, April Dancer, dried up, Stefanie went on to become the queen of series guest roles and TV movies through the mid-seventies. A much publicized (and not without controversy) relationship with veteran actor William Holden led to her becoming an animal and environmental activist and a charismatic teaming with old friend Robert Wagner led to her finally becoming a major star on TV's HART TO HART in the late 1970's.















2 comments:

  1. She is also one of my faves.... out of the 'starlette school' from the 60's.
    It was during that same summer stock season that I was working my third year with the Kenley Players in Dayton where she appeared. She was one of he few stars that played his circuit that I did not get to meet... except for one elevator ride we shared from the rooftop restaurant to the lobby of the Hotel where she was staying.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I saw Stefanie Powers in the middle 1960's while stationed at Schofield Barracks, Hawaii in a USO show, which also featured Julie Newmar.

    She recorded an album nine years ago, which received 10 five star reviews out of 13 reviews at Amazon.com. I bought it after hearing the clips.

    http://www.amazon.com/Stefanie-Powers/e/B000AR9M20/ref=ac_dpt_sa_music

    That is her first and last album as far as I know.

    ReplyDelete